The current form of the town houses on Dominikańska street emerged thanks to the combination of seven residential buildings, which were successively built from the 15th century to the late 18th and early 19th century near Holy Trinity Church.
The buildings served for rental purposes hosting merchants and craftsmen from the region, which is well documented in the archival tax collection books. The first record dates back to 1441 and concerns the monastic houses. In the middle of the 15th century, one of the buildings was already constructed with bricks. Architectural analysis of the buildings' plan and architectural research made in 1996 showed that the current town house on Dominikanska 1 Street consisted of three older buildings, two of which were merged at the end of the 18th century. Thorough reconstruction took place in the first half of the 19 th century. At the time, Dominikanska Street was no more than an internal route along the Holy Trinity Church.
The street in its current form came into being in 1824, after Krakow Senate of Free City had decided on the removal of city's defense walls in the ordering action. Following this event, all the town houses along the new Dominikanska Street were reconstructed, their facades were merged and the second floor was added before 1838.
In the second half of the 19th century, the city suffered from great fire, which gave an opportunity to rebuild the roof, plan the interior and decorate the facades anew. All these renovations resulted in today's image of the building. All the rental town houses were designed in the same austere style. They were all embellished with the uniform plaster elevation, profiled cornices, ascetic window molding, staircase balustrades, the same design of doors, windows and gates. In 1994, the frontal elevation of the building was renovated and the walls underwent conservancy analysis.
The records of the research are well preserved in the administrative department of Dominican Monastery and the archives of Krakow conservancy commission.Back